About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Sunday 13 June 2021

Finished: Jungle Test Pieces

Well, they're done. This morning I mixed up a dark brown ink wash and glazed it over the plastic plants to mute the colours a bit. This afternoon I hit the pieces with a good spray of matte varnish.


 These six pieces cover the best part of an A3 sheet (420 x 297 mm/16.5 x 11.7 inches) which is somewhere between the minimum and maximum terrain sizes I'll want. I probably need to do another 2-3 more batches, some of which I will do to be more open allowing figures to move through.

Some photos of the individual pieces (28mm Australian Commando for reference):

















Thoughts and Lessons

Theses have come out rather well, but there are a few things that need changing.

1. A lower density of plants would be better; these bases were rather crowded which made adding the underbrush and scrub a bit difficult.

2. It would be better to apply the brown ink glaze to the plants before adding the scrub.

3. I'm not keen on the look of the coir "under brush". I think they might look better if the bunches are trimmed a bit before adding them. Smaller pieces would also be easier to add to the bases - I might make a few up to test that out (much easier than cutting up the larger ones I have already made).

4. The clump foliage looks a bit artificial in places. I suspect that is a result of not having blended the foam down small enough, but they were from an early test batch. I think some lichen along with the clump would look good.

5. I'm not sure about the base edges; with the herbs going to the very edge they won't blend in on grassy battle mats. I might do a test base using the turf and static grass system I used on the hills. 

11 comments:

  1. What excellent terrain! They look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall I think the jungles turned out really well Tamsin. Having read through your thoughts, they all make perfect sense, and look forward to seeing your next batch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm keen to make some jungle pieces myself; these are great and thanks for the step-by-step tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work Tamsin. The bases look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Herkybird - thanks! :)

    @ Dave Stone - cheers! I should have my second tests finished in a day or two. :)

    @ Barks - thanks! I'm following in the footsteps of others - The Terrain Tutor and Lardy Rich! :)

    @ rhingley - cheers! :)

    @ Airt - thanks! :)

    @ DaveD - cheers! :)

    @ Simon Q - thanks for both comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're selling yourself short Tamsin. They are excellent pieces and the photographs show just reward for your time and efforts. You should be pleased with all that you've done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Don't get me wrong - I like how they turned out overall, it's just little bits about them that I feel could look better. :)

      Delete