About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Thursday 20 August 2020

Terrain Table T(h)ursday 20 August

For the past few days I have been slowly working on the terrain bases for the woodland and marsh pieces. So far I have glued 2mm (for the marshes) and 5mm styrofoam to MDF bases, removed the excess and beveled the edges with a hot-wire cutter, created dimples and puddles by heating the foam with a barbecue gas lighter, painting the MDF on the undersides, corrected the warping caused by the gas lighter and coated the foam with Vallejo dark earth texture paste.


Tomorrow (or possibly later tonight) I will be base-coating the texture and then will focus on the marsh pieces to get them out of the way.

The woodland/forest pieces will take a bit longer as I have all of these cheap trees to "improve":


Although I could just seal them to help stop the existing clump foliage dropping off, they do look a bit plain. My plan is to "highlight" the foliage with some fine flock and to drybrush and wash the trunks. After that they will get a sealing coat of varnish.



4 comments:

  1. Off to a great start on these Tamsin, look forward to seeing them develop. Have you considered trimming the trees in places to make them a little less uniform before adding the flock ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have lots of tufts for those terrain bits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Dave Stone - I am considering that; it will also provide some branches to go on the ground. :)

    @ Herkybird - I'll probably apply patches of static grass rather than tufts for these. For the woodland/forest bases I will also be added dried herbs as leaf litter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good Tamsin! I will leaf it to you experts!

      Delete