About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Sunday 14 April 2024

Salute 2024 - The Loot

 (and proof of life)

I am fully aware that I haven't posted anything on my blog for almost a year now. The main reason for that is that I have been suffering from a complete painting block since I finished those fatties last May. As a result, there hasn't been anything for me to post. I have played a few games at the club, but on each occasion I forgot to take my camera so there were no photos of those to post.

Anyhow, yesterday I went to Salute, partly out of habit and partly in the hope that it might give me the kick-start I so clearly need. I had a good time and it was great to see it so busy. The only downside was that after-show drinks with others from CLWC at the Fox was cut short because they were closing early for a private function.

I only had a short shopping list - some paints, some books and a small (for me) bunch of figures. I was only able to find one of the books on my list (not a problem - it's a good excuse for a trip into central London to get the rest) but did find all the paints and figures on my list (the figures were easy - they were all from Essex Miniatures). 

After the bloggers' meetup, I did a bit more shopping - last year I had bought 2 packs of plastic gunfighters from Great Escape Games (still unassembled and unpainted) and thought it might be a good project to get me back into painting. However, I don't have any suitable terrain so that was what I was looking for.

Anyway, here is my haul of loot:

Everything

Salute freebies

The one book from my list that I could find

Wild West terrain

Buildings

A wagon, obviously

Scatter

A bunch of paints

Seven Years War Russians

Now you may be wondering about the final items. Don't I have enough Seven Years War Russians? Haven't I done all the regiments which took part? The answers to those questions are "Yes and No" (I have enough for most people, but I'm a megalomaniac from time to time) and "No". These are for the Observation Corps. Of course, on getting home and checking them, I realised a small mistake I'd made - I was one pack short. It's also been pointed out to me that I should really do two units for each regiment as those of the Observation Corps were around double the size of the regular line regiments. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to place an order with Essex for the rest.


I'll be doing a post with the pics I took of all the games. One irritation I had was that I somehow managed to completely miss the "pirate living history" display. I think I've worked out where it was and it would explain the long queue I saw on one side of the Warlords' information stand in the centre of the hall.




18 comments:

  1. A decent haul there, really like the two horse town pack of buildings, cracking way to get a small town together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see a post from you Tamsin, and good to hear you had a good time at Salute ( for the first time in over ten years I didn't go as either a trader or customer). Nice haul and hopefully you can get back into the painting side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool that you posted. I'd hoped you'd come back. Very sorry you've been in a painting slump. Glad you posted and went to a meet-up. Cheers and boogie boogie, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its good to see you back, I am sure I am not the only one who missed my regular dose of Tamsin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good to see you back after so long

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you yesterday and great to see a post from you once again Tamsin. Great looking haul too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to have you back. Similarly mojo less at moment, other things going on such as house move

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! Glad you are ok. Looks like decent stash

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! Hope you get your painting mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to meet you yesterday, and I hope your purchases help you to break through that painting block!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to see you on Saturday. Glad you enjoyed the show

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been suffering from both painting and blog writing block myself and know how it feels!
    Sometimes something like a trip to a favourite show is enough to get the creative juices flowing again so lets hope it has done the trick for you

    ReplyDelete
  13. I missed out catching up with so many people who I knew were there or wanted to catch en passant as it were. Glad you made it. Sorry I missed you.

    Started building a forest, which I assume you've seen on my blog, and I've been meaning to email you too. Alas, good intentions and all that.

    Anyway, glad to hear you're back in action.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to see you back among the active blogs! I was worried something far worse than "painter's block" had occurred and I'm sure others did. So happy that's not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tamsin, nice to see you posting again. A very nice haul that is bound to get the painting mojo going again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the "welcome back" comments everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you had a fun day. Due to the time clashing with my ticket for the film I unfortunately missed the blogger meet up. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here's hoping all this swag helps get you back into the painting mood. You're postings are much missed, Tamsin.

    ReplyDelete