About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Wednesday 31 May 2023

Wednesday Workbench 31 May 2023 (aka 27 Days Later)

 Oh dear. It seems that I dropped away from posting for much longer than I should have done. Sorry about that.

I haven't picked up a paint brush since finishing that pair of Fatties, as I've been doing a lot of test printing for Kathy Millatt's kickstarter campaign. I've also been doing a lot of design work for the Peach Trees terrain. I think I've now got the atrium walkways as good as I can get them now - I just need to adjust the positioning of the OpenLock clip holes and make some minor changes to the corner pillars. I've also test-printed enough sections to do three levels of one side:




I noticed that without the apartments behind them, the walkways sagged a bit so I quickly designed some support columns to hold them for these photos. As it is 1m (40 inches, actually) wide I found that the only space where I could actually take the photos was on my kitchen floor, so the lighting isn't as good as it could be.

A lot of research (and trial and error) has gone into these - finding images online, realising that there aren't as many showing what I need as I'd like and then capturing screen-shots from the film to get more images.

For the atrium corner sections, I think I might make sense to do them as 8" x 8" tiles (8" x 9" for the ones where the parapet sticks out beyond the pillar).

The next stage of this project will be to design the apartments, shops and other bits that are needed. The first stage of that will be to create the repeated elements like wall lights, entry-phones and such.

8 comments:

  1. Ha! I think it would be perfectly appropriate for the walkways to sag a little when the Fatties are on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And very true - those balconies need reinforcing rods. :)

      Delete
  2. Been hiding away then Tamsin? Looking good, you must have quite a collection of terrain for Judge Dredd now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I do have a fair collection of terrain for MC1 now. :)

      Delete
  3. Can see why you've been away so long now Tamsin, the design and look you've achieved for the walkways, is awesome, and great to see all your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has been keeping me busy. :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely design work, Tamsin. They definitely look the part, especially when you get some hab-blocs behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! These were mainly "proof of concept" test prints and there are some things I need to change. The big task now is going to be designing all the apartments, shops and stuff to create a gaming board (the atrium walkways, whilst playable, are more for a scene-setting end-piece).

      Delete