About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Wednesday 30 November 2022

Wednesday Workbench 30 November 2022

 


I've been doing a few things since Saturday, mostly slicing files for 3D printing and then printing them. As you can see, I'm also in the middle of deep-cleaning one of my airbrushes.


You may recall that I'd primed a piece "grey" and then hand-brushed a dark grey into the panel lines. I've airbrushed two different colours onto that piece to see how it looks:


It looks OK under the pale blue, but is far too dark under the yellow - I think that for lighter top colours I might need to use a lighter grey for the panel lining. I might also use the airbrush to add a diffuse line of a lighter grey around the panel lines so that the edges of panels are slightly darker than the centres. I'll need to test that in the next few days.

I also tested a couple of colours on the internal partition pieces:



I think I prefer the pale blue grey (top).



3D Printing


I've mostly been printing cargo. I printed another of the shipping containers that you've seen before. I then sliced a load of "Traveller" crates and shipping containers. I've been printing them for the last couple of days and have a few more days of printing to go.

1/4 Ton Crates

Liquid, gas cylinders, reinforced

Bolted, locked, plain

1/2 Ton Crates

Back - gas can, gas cylinders
Front - locked, bolted, plain

6 Ton Containers

Sealed, controlled environment


I've got another 6-ton container to print, then 2- and 4-ton versions. My plan is to eventually have more than enough to fill the 82-Ton hold of the Beowulf class Free Trader which will be next year's big printing project.

8 comments:

  1. You printed these? How cool is that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice progress on the test colours Tamsin, and that's a lot of crates you've already printed, and you say they are to go into a ship, that's going to be a beast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll probably print up another full set of the crates at some point, but the bulk of the cargo will be containers. :)

      Delete
  3. Ahhh yes, Yellow, the bane colour of all model painters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cargo terrain is the most satisfying 3D printed terrain. That and wooden crates.

    ReplyDelete