About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Sunday 17 October 2021

SELWG Show 2021 Part 1 - The Loot

 

Today was SELWG 2021, my first show since SELWG 2019. They have now moved the show from Crystal Palace in South East London to the Lea Valley Athletics Centre in North London. The new venue is much better, with the show itself inside the indoor athletics track. It was much more spacious and airy, and there was also lots of seating available if you needed a break. It's also much easier for me to get to, being two short bus rides (and a short walk at either end) away.

There seemed to be fewer traders than normal and perhaps a small reduction in the number of games being put on. Nevertheless, it was still quite busy.

Edit to correct: There were in fact more games and more traders than SELWG 2019. I'm guessing that the more spacious layout made it appear that there weren't as many.

Disappointingly, two of the big name traders had brought very limited stock with them, having sent most of their trade-show items to Spiel Essen. Oh, well, at least there's Salute in four weeks time.

It was good to meet up in person with various people from the blogosphere and from the club. It was especially good to see Geoff out and about again after his very nasty run-in with Covid-19.

Of course, Ray insisted on selfies:


Edited to add:

Whilst going round the games taking photos I had an unexpected moment of fame/infamy. "I recognise that voice. It's you, from the podcast!"


The Loot Haul

The photo at the top of this post shows the loot all stacked up. I went along with three quite short lists and a few tentative ideas. One of the lists was for a trader who had been on the list, but must have dropped out since I last checked. Another list was for Warlord, who had only brought limited stock - they only had one item off my list:


I's forgotten that Battlezone were going to be there, and somehow walked past their stand several times before realising it was them, but it did mean that I was able to pick up an extra bit for my Barbarian horde:


Bases, bases, bases from Colonel Bill's:


An impulse purchase from Helion:


And a bunch of MDF from Blotz:

28mm Crashed Starship bits

Small generators and some building bits

Oh, that white box...

Well, that was another impulse purchase, this time from TT Combat. They hadn't brought a lot along with them (I suspect that their main trade show team and stock was in Essen), but they did have a selection of their "white box" bundles.



It cost £60 - I checked the website after getting home and the contents would cost £98 if bought individually. The one suggestion I would make to TT Combat is to change the boxes to deeper ones with half the footprint (something around the size of a 9 litre Really Useful Box) so that they are easier to fit into carrier bags.

I'll post photos of the games tomorrow. I think I took them of every table, but might have missed one or two. 





18 comments:

  1. Very nice haul Tamsin, shame you didn't get everything on your list, hope to see you at Salute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It wasn't that disappointing to not get everything on my list as there's always Salute in 4 weeks! :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm, that haul inspires me to save for Battleground in Stockton!

    Thanks for the push! - I look forward to seeing your games post tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Games post is scheduled for 8pm tonight. :)

      Delete
  3. That's a good haul... and a lot of MDF!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure you had a good haul too! :)

      Delete
  5. Glad you enjoyed the day out. Like last weeks show, I changed my mind about attending. Just stayed painting the figures I got in the post this week. Now they are done!
    Hopefully going to Salute later though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely good to get to a show after such a long break. Hopefully you can make Salute. :)

      Painting figures that you received this week? That's just plain wrong - you're meant to let them season for at least a few months! ;)

      Delete
  6. Tamsin, there were 6 more games and three more traders than our last show at Crystal Palace. Glad that you liked the new venue.
    Tony Rodwell
    SELWG President

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just checked and you're right. I guess it was the fact that it was much more open and spacious that gave me the impression of fewer games and traders.

      I'll edit the post to add the correction. :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely haul! I hadn't heard of Battlezone before. They have some Copplestone bits I am after that normally are over at Mirliton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      I didn't realise that Mirliton also carried that rang; it looks as though they have some figures that Battlezone don't.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for posting, Tamsin. I'm looking forward to further pictures tomorrow. Sadly, I'll be skipping Historicon in November for health reasons. Slowly but surely we all seem to be getting back on our feet after the first run of Covid. Still 762,000 fatalities, including Secretary Colin Powell just yesterday, cannot be overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerry, the pics of games post should be up now. I can understand the hesitancy about large social gatherings while there are still high rates of infection. Hopefully things will get back to normal so that you can return to cons over there. :)

      Delete
  9. Its so nice to see people being able to gather again for these conventions. Nice stack of goodies for your projects. Thanks for reminding me about Blotz, I haven't been to their site for some time & its likely I am now due for a visit! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely good to get out and meet people at a show again. Blotz do have some nice stuff in their ranges. :)

      Delete