About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Friday 11 July 2014

A Memory of Paint

I do apologise for the lack of posts this week. I had hoped to get some painting done during my extended weekend, but this didn't happen as I was feeling somewhat under the weather. Not ill, just a little bit off, enough to not feel like painting anything. I did pick up my brushes, but that was to clean them.

I have been feeling fully recovered since Wednesday morning, but I still haven't done any painting. There is a reason for that. Ian and maybe some others might have guessed where this post is going from the title.

Pic from Orbit website


You see, a good few years ago I bought a book. And then I bought all the following book in the series. In March I finally found out that the paperback version of the 14th and final book in the series was out and snapped it up. Yes, you did read that right - the fourteenth and final book. It turns out it had actually been published in paperback several months before, but I'd never seen it on the shelves of any bookshops I browse in until March. It has been a long and bumpy ride with one moment that set all the fans into a panic.

For those of you who don't know by now what I'm talking about, the books are the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. The panic moment was that he died in 2007 with the final book still to come. Fortunately before his death, Mr Jordan had sketched out (in quite some detail) "A Memory of Light". His widow found a great young author, Brandon Sanderson, to complete the series. However, it soon became clear that the final volume was too much for one book or even two books (most of the books are about 900 pages long). Thus "A Memory of Light" ended up as three books - The Gathering Storm, The Towers of Midnight and A Memory of Light. Luckily for the fans, Mr Sanderson has done a superb job of these books.

And now we return to the reason for me not having done any painting over the last few days (and probably not this weekend either!). Over the past few months I have been re-reading the series from the start. On Tuesday evening I finished reading the 13th book. I couldn't resist starting A Memory of Light and proceeded to read the Prologue.

Oh

My

Dog!

I had a major nerdgasm just from reading the prologue and have been in nerdgasm territory ever since then. I'm currently about two thirds of the way through and finding it very hard to pull myself away from reading. I should finish it this weekend.

Ohmydog! I've just realised I probably won't finish it this weekend as on Sunday I'll be out for most of the day doing a big FoG game of Tannenberg.

Once the book is finished I will get back to painting.


12 comments:

  1. I've read the series up to about book 9 and stopped due to the length of time between installments. Nice to hear that despite his death the whole work got done.

    Enjoy your break from painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not heard of this series, I best go look them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy Tamsin!! Good luck for the game too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you where feeling poorly. 14 Robert Jordan books! That's 2 years worth of solid reading! I'll eagerly await your triumphant return to paining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 14 volumes? That is a series. I guess that George R. R. Martin fellow better get cracking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never did get into the series, but did play some form of rpg based on it. I know from others though how popular this series is, I'm still a bit shocked though that there are so many !

    ReplyDelete
  7. 14 volumes 900pages each??ß Wow that`s what I call addicted....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got to number 7 or 8, and then gave up, it was just taking too long to get anywhere for me!

    Glad to see it finally got finished!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great series of books, didn't know the last book was out, I've always loved the Aiel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As Steve said. I hope everytHing is all right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You re-read the 12,000+ page series in a "few months"? And the amount you get painted.. do you have a time machine? :) I need to look at my time management..

    ReplyDelete