About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Monday 20 March 2023

AHPC XIII - 15th (And Final) Submission

 


As predicted, this submission took me very close to the wire yesterday - it was just before midnight that I finished writing the post, six hours before the deadline. If I hadn't stayed up working through Saturday night I wouldn't have got it done in time. Of course, if I hadn't spent so much time working on that backdrop then I wouldn't have been in such a rush at the end.

Full post here


Backdrop





Cargo


Figures







Small Scale Ships



Spirit of Camberwell













As you can see, I went a bit overboard with the weathering. I started off just trying to obscure the white edges of the decals and maybe add a couple of damage chips, but realised that some of my sponge dabs were a bit too large and heavy. So, I needed to add lots of smaller, lighter dabs to obscure the heavy ones. Then I tried softening them with a thin airbrush coat of the orange base colour and airbrushed streaks with a dark brown...


...and completely forgot to do any weathering on the landing gear!


Still it doesn't look as bad as I thought, and at least the orange isn't quite so lurid now. Mind you, I could probably have got that with just the dark brown streaking.


11 comments:

  1. Good to hear you made the deadline, even if you had to pull an all nighter (done a few of those) The result on the scout ship was well worth all the extra effort, as it looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's all my own fault that things went so close to the deadline - I didn't "need" to do the backdrop, after all. :)

      Delete
  2. Fantastic display, I actually like the terrain best of all, it looks natural and visually stunning, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! By terrain, I assume you mean the backdrop? That was a lot of work for just a handful of points. :)

      Delete
    2. Indeed! Backdrop or not its fantastic!

      Delete
  3. Brutal, awesome! What a wonderful project, the design, the painting and the stunning attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a big project, and if I were to do it again I would want to simplify things. :)

      Delete
  4. Absolutely mental entry Tamsin. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just found your comment in the spam folder.

      Thanks! It was a bonkers project to take on! :)

      Delete
  5. Fabulous work Tamsin! It was a highlight of this year's Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a bonkers and occasionally stressful project, but I'm glad I did it! :)

      Delete